This is a great time to advertise for staff, and people are seeing some heavy response rates. There are any number of competing advertisements, and when advertising it is essential to post an advertisement that is so compelling that it will stand out from the crowd and attract people to answer it….make people want to apply.
The landscape has changed completely from where people were trying to run an advertisement in three lines. Online advertising means that the opportunity now exists to say quite a lot about your company, what makes it an attractive place to work, the job opening and so on.
The ideal advertisement should contain the following information. I like to post with the headings intact, but you can remove the headings once you have written each section if you think that it makes it flow better.
Job Title and Header
This should include the following:
- Title as it is to appear in Advert (eg Purchasing Coordinator and Fulfillment Specialist)
- Type of company (eg Promotions and Premiums Company)
- Town and zip code
Description of what the job entails including:
- Why the job opening exists. (eg “to meet increased customer demand in fulfilling orders for promotional products”)
- Characteristics of what we are looking for. (eg “energetic, goal driven person who likes handling multiple vendors and clients and driving projects to completion”)
- Responsibility and reporting. (e.g. “significant responsibility to assist and support the office manager in all phases of our business including…….”)
- Promotional/career prospects. (e.g. “opportunities for greater responsibility that will lead to significant growth potential both financially and professionally”)
A brief description of the organization and what it does including:
- Whether growing
- Reason for our success
Why this is a Great Place to Work
This should be driven by the Employee value proposition exercise and should include:
- Company size
- Culture and atmosphere
- Management style
- Employee viewpoints
- Benefits etc
List the main responsibilities of the job using the Key Accountabilities worksheet
- Answering Phones
- Product Research
- Order Processing
- Coordinating client communication
- Office Administration
List any specific qualifications the successful candidate must possess. For example:
- College Graduate
- Series Seven
- Insurance License
Then list any specific skills the successful candidate must possess. For example:
- Multi-tasking: Strong organizational & follow-up skills.
- Phone Skills: Polite, pleasant, clear, concise with customers/vendors.
- Details: Ability to absorb and work quickly / successfully with details.
- Computer Proficiency: PO/Invoicing Functions, Outlook, Word.
- Positive attitude: Exercised daily with staff and customers.
- Communication skills: High level needed, both written and oral.
- High energy: Capable of performing at high level every day.
A template is appended below which you can use to develop the information necessary to create a compelling advertisement that will stand out from the crowd.